Rothschild & Co: Changement de gouvernance en Afrique du sud (en anglais uniquement)
Paul Bondi and Giles Douglas become Co-Heads of Rothschild & Co South Africa
Rothschild & Co is pleased to announce that Martin Kingston, Chief Executive Officer of Rothschild & Co in South Africa, will assume the role of Executive Chairman, with effect from 1 April 2019. Paul Bondi and Giles Douglas will assume the role of Co-Heads of South Africa and will support Martin in managing the business and client relationships. Paul and Giles each have over 20 years of investment banking experience and have been with the business for 13 and five years respectively.
Trevor Manuel, a former Finance Minister of South Africa, and current Chairman of Old Mutual Limited, will return to his position as Non-Executive Deputy Chairman of the Board of Rothschild & Co in South Africa whilst also continuing in his role as Senior Advisor to the group. Other Non-Executive Directors include:
- Dolly Mokgatle, one of the founding partners of the Peotona Group, and a seasoned businesswoman who currently serves on the boards of Kumba Iron Ore, Total SA and Telkom. Ms Mokgatle is the Chairperson of the Rothschild & Co (South Africa) Foundation, an educational trust which holds a 25.1% interest in Rothschild & Co in South Africa
- Thembisa Skweyiya, a lawyer and businesswoman with extensive financial services and corporate governance experience, who currently serves on the boards of Imperial Logistics Holdings, Liberty Holdings and Woolworths Holdings
The changes in executive leadership reflect the group's long-term commitment and ongoing investment in both South Africa and the region and build on Rothschild & Co in South Africa's market positioning and success.
The team has advised on the following significant transactions in the past 18 months:
- Old Mutual plc' £12bn Managed Separation into its four independent business units
- Vodacom's US$1.3bn Black Economic Empowerment transaction
- Chevron Global Energy's US$1bn disposal of its 75% interest in Chevron South Africa and 100% interest in Chevron Botswana
- Anglo American's sale of its Eskom-tied domestic thermal coal operations & New Largo thermal coal project
- Sasol's US$1.6bn Broad Based Black Economic Empowerment transaction
- Sasol's US$2.25bn dual tranche senior notes offering
The team's collective credentials and depth of experience were recently acknowledged at the 2018 DealMakers Awards ceremony, where they won the following awards:
- Mergers & Acquisitions DealMaker of the Year by Deal Value for the top advisory team
- Deal of the Year for the Managed Separation of Old Mutual
- Individual DealMaker of the Year for Martin Kingston
Commenting on these developments, Robert Leitão, Managing Partner at Rothschild & Co, said “These appointments reflect the ongoing evolution of Rothschild & Co's business, and further enhances our success and long-standing track record as a leading financial advisory business in Africa. We are extremely proud of the team's collective efforts in building this successful platform.”
- ENDS -
For further information
Brunswick South Africa
Gordon Kgaugelo Letsoalo
Tel: +27 79 510 6127
About Rothschild & Co, Global Advisory
Rothschild & Co is family-controlled and independent and has been at the centre of the world's financial markets for over 200 years. With a team of c.3 500 talented financial services specialists on the ground in over 40 countries, Rothschild & Co's integrated global network of trusted professionals provide in-depth market intelligence and effective long-term solutions for our clients in Global Advisory, Wealth & Asset Management, and Merchant Banking.
Global Advisory, a division of the Rothschild & Co group, designs and executes strategic M&A and financing solutions, providing impartial, expert advice to large and mid-sized corporations, private equity, families and entrepreneurs, and governments
Through its unrivalled network of 1,000 industry and financing specialists in over 40 countries, Rothschild & Co's Global Advisory business combines the breadth of its advisory offering with a high volume of transactions to achieve a unique understanding and perspective into markets and participants worldwide.