Long Term Internship – Sovereign Advisory – Juillet/Septembre 2024
Division: Global Advisory
Programme: Long Term Internship
Duration: 6 months
Introduction to Rothschild & Co’s Sovereign Advisory team:
Rothschild & Co is one of the world's leading independent financial advisors, with 3,500 financial services specialists across 40 countries. In addition to being the world’s most active M&A adviser, we have also worked alongside Governments and public entities for more than 200 years.
Rothschild & Co has developed, within its Global Financial Advisory franchise, a specific Sovereign Advisory practice led from the Paris office dedicated to Government and Government-related entities (State-Owned Enterprises, Sovereign Wealth Funds, Development Banks, Central Banks …).
Our Sovereign Advisory team offers tailored solutions to Sovereign and Quasi-Sovereign entities on a wide range of economic and financial issues. Sovereign advisory services include the design and implementation of financing strategies and debt management frameworks, debt restructuring, management of public assets, and contingent liabilities risk management.
Our team is 20+ people strong and based in Paris, with access to Rothschild & Co’s 50+ offices worldwide. We are currently involved with governments and public entities across Central and Eastern Europe, the Middle East, Sub-Saharan Africa, Central Asia and Latin America.
Rothschild & Co was named “Bank of the Year for Governments” in 2021 and 2022 by IFR awards.
Interns will be fully onboarded on ongoing mandates and granted a significant degree of responsibility, contributing to day-to-day execution alongside the Sovereign Advisory team.
Missions will more specifically include:
- Macro-financial analysis and modelling
- Elaboration of presentations and memorandums
- Preparation of marketing pitches
- In-depth macroeconomic research, economic intelligence and news watch
Ideal candidate profile:
- Genuine interest for sovereign-related issues and development finance
- Strong academic background in economics and/or finance
- Excellent analytical, modelling, writing and communication skills
- Proficiency in both English and French is required.
- Good knowledge of additional languages will be a plus
- Previous internship experience in economic and/or finance background is strongly preferred
The recruitment process consists in 2-3 rounds of interviews with various members of the Sovereign Advisory team. The interviews are designed to test candidates' motivation, technical knowledge as well as familiarity with sovereign-related topics and emerging markets recent developments.
The scope of technical subjects that may be covered during the interviews includes:
- Basics of financial markets and international finance (fixed-income instruments, FX markets …)
- Basics of macroeconomic theory (monetary policy, fiscal policy, BOP …)
- Basics of public finance and public debt dynamics (state budget, financing needs, debt sustainability analysis …)
- Development finance issues for emerging countries (access to public and private capital, role of the official sector, ESG …)
- International economic news.